Tuesday, November 4, 2008

I'm Back

I'm back and must be suffering from jet lag! I'm so tired. It didn't help that the last morning in Cali, at the hotel, at 4:30 in the morning, the fire alarm jetted me out of bed from a sound sleep! Scary stuff, followed by an announcement that we must immediately evacuate the building! Thankfully it was all a false alarm but on top of everything else from the weekend it robbed me of a couple much needed hours of sleep.

The weekend was spent mostly at the hospital visiting with my Dad. His condition has worsened. When I got there on Friday I learned he had developed pneumonia. He spent the weekend getting breathing treatments between fits of coughing and pain medication. We said our good-bye's on Sunday evening as I had to leave Monday morning. When I called from the airport Monday to say I had arrived safely, Ingrid said she had received a call from the hospital at 7:30 a.m. saying they had to move my Dad to ICU except there were no beds available in ICU so instead they moved him down to emergency with his own ICU nurse. I wasn't sure he would survive that day. Apparently he now has a lung infection and possible kidney infection. At this point all I can hope for is a peaceful end to this suffering. He has fought so hard, as has Ingrid, to stay alive but I just don't believe he has much of a quality of life anymore. It was a tough visit but one that was needed, by all 3 of us I think.

Today was a busy day, first voting and then it was also conference day at school. We had a work day with no students this morning and then conferences this afternoon. Thursday night we have conferences again and then we can all breathe again.

Right now we are watching the election results. So far things are looking good for Barack Obama. I don't want to count my chickens but I am hopeful!

I took some amazing pictures of our beautiful country from the plane on the way to Cali and on the way back. Some of the places I could see from the plane looked like very interesting places to visit. Sometimes a road seemed to go on forever, through nothing but desert, not a building in sight. Amazing!

Flying into LA


The Rocky Mountains from above


The left coast



These clouds were amazing! They look so different when seen from above.



The flat lands and fields of the Midwest


My Dad's favorite rose


Have a happy rest of the week!

No comments: