Sunday, April 28, 2013

Bowling Champs, Planting and Can Spring Be Far Behind?

Yes, we are the Champions! It was a bit anti-climatic since we really already knew a month ago that we had won but there was still money to be won Friday night. Sadly H and I didn't win any. My bowling was far below average except maybe one game. Bill and Judy, our partners, bowled best that night and won extra money. They and H were feeling no pain by the end of the evening! Here's the beautiful trophy that is ours to keep until next year. We will keep it until December and then give it to Bill and Judy for their Christmas and New Year's celebration. When I looked back at the plaques on the trophy I see that we won this trophy the first time (with different partners) 20 years ago! We also won it again back in 2009 with Bill and Judy. Yesterday was a beautiful, sunny, warm Spring day and we got a lot done around the house. I took my herbs outside on the deck to enjoy a little of the sunshine. Zoe was enjoying her time in the sun too! It was a good day to take my geraniums outside on the lower deck. I've been bringing these in every winter for the last 5 years or so and because the basement gets a fair amount of sun they continue to bloom all winter long. The ducks made an appearance yesterday and I found another little turtle. This one was even smaller than the one from last weekend. I tried to take a picture but with my phone and it turned out all blurry. I quickly took him down to the pond and tossed him in. There must have been a nest around here somewhere but I don't know where it is. I've found both turtles in approximately the same spot though, in the middle of the back yard. I had to go to the plant nursery to buy soil so I took a quick look around to see what else I could find. These lillys were on sale for just $5! What a deal. Hopefully I'll get them in the ground later this week. When I got back home I was able to pot up my porch lettuce. We'll be able to have lettuce for a month or so now. I picked up these tomatoes also but it will be another month or so before I can put them out in the garden. I figured I better get them now or they won't be there when I'm ready for them. Speaking of the garden, H and Tyler went out there yesterday for me to make the bed four sided. H brought some boards out, attached them to the existing boards and now we will hopefully be able to keep the grass out. I went out there this morning to plant a few things and to see how my garlic is growing. Tyler told me yesterday that it was coming up. It's off to a good start! Today I planted some lavender that I got at the nursery yesterday and also planted my onion sets, carrot and radish seeds. I also planted some extra lettuce seed I had and some green bean seeds from last year. If they don't came up it won't really matter. I just thought I would give it a try! There's the lavender, the green plant. Carrots and Radishes to the left, green beans and onions to the right. I left just as the rain was beginning so hopefully everything will get a good soaking. It's a light but steady rain and has been coming down all afternoon. It's a perfect day to stay inside and enjoy a nice warm fire that just takes a little chill off since thankfully it's not too cold outside. And just watch the rain do it's work on all the things that are coming up. The weather for the coming week is supposed to be warm, in the 70's most days. Finally, capri and sandal weather!! Have a great week!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Great trophy! Congrats!