Thursday, November 26, 2009

Giving Thanks

I'm sure I'm not the only one stopping today to think about all the things in my life I have to be thankful for. I know many people are much busier than me today so it might be easier for me to think about these things since it's just H, me and Scott for Thanksgiving this year. I started out the morning quite ambitious with my list of things to do but lost my momentum shortly after I put the turkey in the oven. I'm not feeling 100% today but I will muddle through.

I am thankful for my family's health. Truly without your health, life is hard to enjoy. I know it sounds strange to say I'm thankful for my health when I'm not feeling so well but sometimes that's what it takes to make you realize you are thankful for it when you have it and I know this crummy feeling will pass soon. The rest of the family each has one thing or another they have to deal with but everyone is still relatively well or at least can manage their condition and live a full life.

I am thankful for my lovely home. We've worked hard over the years to have a home we can be proud of and love returning to. There are some days I don't even want to leave it and I'm happy to just stay here in my little comfort zone. So many people have either lost their homes or had to give them up. I am very thankful that hasn't happened to us.

I am thankful that H and I both have our jobs. Oh sure, we might complain and threaten to quit from time to time but at least we have jobs. Living here in Michigan we are reminded every day of all the people who are unemployed and then unable to obtain another job. We have been there too over the years but right now we are in a good place and happy to have them.

Here he is, even working on Thanksgiving. Seriously, he never stops.


I am thankful for my wonderful children who are all but grown up now. Each is unique in their own way and I love that about them. The thing they have in common is that they are all good people. They love their parents and we feel that every day. I miss the ones who can't be here today but know I will be with them soon and I have that to look forward to. The one I am with today (Scott) has stopped to give me a few hugs and I know in a few hours he will thank me for the meal I have cooked.


Here is the Master, showing his son how it's done!
That means something to me. My son-in-law Andy is included in this group now and it does feel like he is one of ours too. He and Amber are very happy and love each other very much and are such good people. They will have a wonderful blessing of their own soon and I have no doubt they will be wonderful parents too. You never know how much you can love someone until you have your first child. That will be a wonderful discovery for both of them.

I am thankful for my dear husband of 35 years. We have had many ups and down over the years but have stayed true to the promises we made many years ago to try to work things out and stick with it. I hope we both live long enough to enjoy all the hard work we have put into this life. Many people I know haven't been as fortunate, either through divorce or the early death of their loved one.


Here he is peeling the potatoes for mashing! So helpful!


I am thankful for my extended family. With my parents both gone now I am thankful I still have my Auntie and Uncle. I don't get to see them enough but I keep up with the life and know what they're up to. Their son Glen is the only cousin I'm in touch with but he's really the only one I knew growing up. Happy Birthday Glen!

I am thankful for my many friends. With everyone so busy I don't get to see them as often as I would like. Today I spent an hour and a half on the phone with my dear friend, Claire, who I haven't talked to in a couple months. We probably could have talked for another hour but we both needed to get some things done! I also have my Bunco girls, my bowling friends and friends from school. All make my life richer in one way or another.

Lastly, but certainly not least, I am thankful for my fur kids, my little pups, my babies.

I realize they are just "dogs" but they give me such unconditional love and devotion that would be hard to enjoy life without. H complains loudly and often about their ability to shed hair but no one's perfect. We all have our faults. If a little hair is the worst thing about them, I don't think that's so bad.



All I have to do is look down and one or both of them is somewhere near my feet. If I get up and leave the room it won't be long before one or both of them will come to see where I've gone. They hang on my every word, watch my every move. Who or what else can show that much love all the time? Only a dog, that's who. Even Andy isn't that devoted, much to Amber's relief!! (Just kidding Andy!! Love ya) Just wanted to make sure you really were reading this thing because I know I'll hear from you about it!

I am also thankful that I can look forward to this time next year when we will have our first grandchild to love and yes, spoil!! I've heard people say that you think nothing can surpass the love you have for your own children until you have a grandchild! Very soon we will test that and see if it's really true. I'll let you know next Thanksgiving when I remember all the things I have to be thankful for.

And now for the menu:

Cheeseball (my mother's recipe) made by H this year. Yummy!!


Turkey breast



Cornbread stuffing



Mashed potatoes



Sweet potatoes



Home made rolls (yummy)

Before


After

They were great!!

Cranberry Sauce



Pumpkin Cheesecake (which I probably overcooked, oops, forgot the oven was still on instead of cooling down)


No one really wanted any veggies, other than the potatoes or sweet potatoes. We had green beans last night and nothing else sounded that appetizing. Maybe I'll break out the baby carrots so we can at least say we had a veggie. Everything will be either white, yellow or orange! And red cranberry sauce!!

Well, since I started writing this I had to stop as the turkey was finally ready so we stopped to eat. The turkey breast was great, nice and moist. I always worry that it will be dry. Everything else turned out fine too. The only thing we haven't tried yet is the cheesecake. We'll have to wait a couple hours to have room for that.



The rest of the weekend will be spent preparing for Christmas. I don't think I'll be putting the tree up just yet but I'll be thinking about and maybe starting my Christmas letter, thinking about getting some cards started and maybe wrapping a few of the gifts I've already bought. I also have a little shopping to do, all online, my favorite kind! I bought a few things yesterday but happily there just isn't that much I have to go out for as the rest of the stuff I want is all available on line and will be shipped directly to my door! I love the internet! What did we ever do without it?

Happy Thanksgiving and have a safe and restful weekend everyone, except for those crazy people who will be up at 4:00 a.m., ready to battle other holiday shoppers. Ya'll just be safe!! I'll be thinking of ya from the comfort of my lovely home!!

1 comment:

Lynilu said...

Happy Thanksgiving, Deb, and great happiness to you and yours now and always. :)