Monday, February 9, 2009

Day 12 - Last Day in Hawaii

Well, it was finally over. Our last day, even though our flight didn't leave until 10:00 that night! We had to be out of the house by 10:00 a.m. Our biggest dilemma was figuring out what we were going to do with the day. Amber and Andy had to leave at 5:00 so they only really had until 2:00 or 3:00 before they had to leave for the airport. We were packed and ready to go by 10:00ish. We decided to head over Waikiki because, once again, it was raining in Kailua. We shopped along the main drag in Waikiki for a while and then headed to this indoor mall area for lunch.

Andy loved these flowers growing right along the main street in Waikiki.

I loved this hotel! If I wanted to stay in Waikiki this is where it would be. The front is on the main street, complete with rocking chairs where you can sit and people watch, and the back is right on the beach, complete with a bar!! Nice!

By the time lunch was over we had to head back to Tyler's apartment so Amber and Andy could shower, change and head for the airport. After Amber and Andy left we just hung out at Tyler's apartment. We were all tired but hated to waste our last afternoon of warmth and sunshine. Howard was getting really comfortable in that chair too!

We decided to go to the Waikiki Aquarium. It was very nice but quite small. We got to see some of the fish we had seen at Hanauma Bay up close and personal! From there we went to the Ala Moana Mall and had dinner at The Macaroni Grill. It wasn't native but it was a good meal, especially for Tyler who doesn't really eat out much.

From there we headed back to Tyler's apartment to take showers and change clothes so that we could head to the airport. We said our good-bye's to Tyler and left to take the rental car back. We had no problems along the way and made it to the airport with plenty of time to spare. Usually I don't care for overnight flights, not that I've taken that many, but this one wasn't bad. Scott and I sat together and Howard was a couple rows up. I actually managed to get some sleep and it made the long flight go faster. We had really good service on Continental, in flight movies, meals every time you turned around and no delays or bag charges.

The next morning we landed in Houston, ate breakfast and boarded the flight for Detroit. When we got to where we dropped the car off it actually started on the first try! In no time we were home and greeted by our welcoming committee of two furry pups. They were so glad to have us back home! Neither one left my side for the rest of the evening.

This trip was really wonderful and we all have some great memories and new experiences to add to our life's list. Yes, we did have a few dramas and arguments. That's what happens when you put 6 people together for 12 days, four of whom are quite hard headed and can be stubborn. I'll let you figure out who's who. At least I think we would all agree that a good time was had by all!

Aloha and Mahalo to Tyler and Hawaii!!

No comments: