Sunday, February 27, 2011

My Baby Love Weekend...

So last Friday I took a personal day off from work and headed to Virginia to see Quinn and family. The weather cooperated so the trip was uneventful. I always worry when travelling in February that there will be a major blizzard or something and I won't be able to go. I arrived around noon to a 70 degree day! Talk about beautiful! We grabbed a quick lunch and then headed to the park. Quinn loves the park and it was a great day for it.
She loves the swings

The slide

Running away from Mommy

And hanging out watching the other kids do all the things she wishes she could do.

It won't be long Quinn.

Saturday we did a little shopping and then Saturday night Amber & Andy went into DC for a night on the town and their first night away from Quinn together. She and I had a fun evening with dinner, bath time and then off to bed. She let me sleep in until 6:30 at least. She's an early riser.
Here she is the next morning reading her books on Mimi's bed (air mattress). She loved this bed.

While she did pretty good being with just Mimi I will say that she started missing her Mama on Sunday morning. She had a couple sad moments so I had to do some major distracting. She was happy to see them when they got home but still came to me for a couple hugs and kisses. I would say their first night away went well.

Monday night, my last night there, Amber and I took a cooking class that Andy had arranged for Amber's Valentine's Day gift. We were cooking Greek. Our team of 5 made lamb kebabs with Tzatziki (which is the cucumber sauce) and Spanakopita (spinach pie) and Baklava. Between the Spanakopita and Baklava we used a ton of butter. I always thought Greek cooking was so healthy with olive oil and all but we soon found out butter is a huge part of their cooking. We spent about 3 hours there, ate what we cooked and then brought a bit home. Amber is lucky that this place is right down the street from her so she can take more classes there if she wants to.

The flight back home was uneventful too and I was home by about 8:00 Tuesday night. It was a great weekend and I loved being able to spend a few days with Quinn. She changes so much is just a few short weeks. I would hate it if I couldn't see her every couple months. And thanks to Skype there wasn't really too much of a warm up time. She knew who I was and wasn't shy or anything! Great trip!

Not much else going on around here. That snow that had melted before I went to DC was replaced with another 10 inches last Sunday. If Monday hadn't been a holiday (President's Day) we would have had another snow day. The weather has been cold and crappy all week, no sun, just yuk. Tonight we are supposed to have rain and maybe even some thunder. Crazy!

We did have one nice surprise this week. Tyler's box from South Korea arrived. It was full of goodies for the whole family. We have all been enjoying the snacks. It seems they really like things covered with chocolate which is ok by me. There was one thing kind of puffy and filled with air and it wasn't so good. Last time I chatted with Tyler on line he said he was considering signing on to teach for another year. He hasn't made up his mind yet but since his contract is up in May he's going to have go decide pretty soon.

Here was another surprise. We had this guy visiting the back yard one evening this week. He was practically in the back yard this time.

Tomorrow morning at school we have a meeting to talk about next year's budget. I've already heard that classroom aide time is being cut by at least 30% and I know there will be other cuts. My job could be on the line again but so far no news is good news? My job is paid for by Federal funds and I'm not even sure if the Principal knows what that budget is yet. Michigan is going to be one of the states that cuts it's per pupil budget, we've already heard the Governor say that. It's going to mean less teachers and larger classes and less services. And here I am still taking training classes. Friday I had a half day class for a reading program. On Tuesday afternoon I have another training class so I can learn how to do the testing we begin in March and continue through April. I'm really hoping I don't get laid off again as I really do love this job. Time will tell.

Have a good week! I hope you get a couple days at the park Quinn!! :-)

No comments: