Thursday, December 31, 2009

Adios 2009 - Hola 2010

Twenty-ten. It seems an odd thing to say. I know it's gonna take some time getting used to writing that, on the rare occasions I have to write these days.

I guess New Year's Eve is a good time to look back on the year and decide what kind of year it's been. I think overall The Mitchells in Michigan have had a good year. We've had a few unpleasant episodes like Tyler's medical scare. But I would have to say overall that we've mostly had blessings in 2009. Of course, one of the biggest blessings will spill over into 2010 and that will be the birth of Amber & Andy's first child, our granddaughter. It doesn't look like she will make her appearance in time for the tax write-off her Daddy hoped for. If she doesn't arrive by January 7 she will be forced to make an appearance on January 11. That's the date scheduled anyway. So exciting! We'll all get to see her, H, Ty, Scott and I, about 5 days after that. This is going to be one exciting time in the life of The Mitchells in Michigan.

Another blessing is that it looks like Tyler will graduate. He got his grades back the other day and he passed all his final classes so he should receive his diploma, officially, soon. It's been along journey since his graduation in 2003 with several changes in his major and one huge University change which included a move from Michigan to the unknown in Hawaii! Who knows where this next phase of his life will take him? Maybe to another country, maybe he will stay in Hawaii, maybe he will land somewhere back on the mainland. In anticipation of job offers far and wide, we went down to the post office the other day and applied for his passport. It's not much of a graduation gift but it could take him far and wide and to places he's never been! I'd say it's better than luggage he would never use.

Also a blessing is Scott's health, overall. His new pump is working well and his blood sugars seem to be more controlled. He doesn't seem to have as many super high readings or the lows that he had in the past. Whatever we can do to prevent any damage to his organs will be helpful in the future. I am holding on to the belief that in the near future, with stem cell research, they will find a way to cure diabetes, possibly by being able to grow a new pancreas.

Another mark in the plus column is H has survived his company's buy-out and continues to have a job. It's not always easy and he seems to work longer hours that ever but in Michigan's economy we are just thankful he has a job. Even if he were able to find a job in another state, I doubt we could sell our house for what it's worth. People keep saying Michigan will come back but I don't think it will ever come back to what it was back in 2001, before 9/11. That seemed to be the beginning of the end for Michigan. The auto industry will never return to what it was before that. We are just hoping to hang on long enough to some day get what we paid out of this place, or at least what we still owe.

I am also grateful to have a job though I'm not sure what next year will bring. The economy is finally having a trickle down effect on the schools. Our district is predicting a $12 million cut next year. A few weeks ago some big shot from the District came to the school asking the support staff to help save money by turning off lights, saving supplies etc. I'm sorry, with a $12 million cut I just had to get to the point and asked if what she was really saying was that many people in that room would not have a job next year. She, and the Principal, admitted that was true. Support people will always go before teachers. Since I am not too high on the seniority list it's entirely possible that my job will be cut. Or it could be that I would be required to take a job that's physically impossible for me. I'm finding it harder and harder to spend hours on end standing and bending over desks. It's taking a toll on my legs and feet. Supposedly in mid-March we will find out how deep the cuts will be. I'm safe for this school year though so I will enjoy these next few months and try not to worry about it yet.

So, I guess that's it for the recap. This past week has been dismal, weather-wise. It makes you not even feel like getting dressed in the morning and there have been some mornings when the guys haven't. If there's no place to go, why bother? I'm not sure when we saw the sun last, maybe last weekend. I've been a bit slow-moving these past two days. Tuesday night, around 9:30 I started feeling really sick. From there I went downhill. After being sick every 1/2 hour until about 2:30 a.m. I was finally able to lay down and get a little rest. I was afraid I had the stomach flu but the next morning I didn't really have any symptoms other than being really tired! No fever, chills, achy joints. Today I feel like I did 100 crunches! Lots of muscle soreness so that should tell you how violent the evening was! No fun but I am thankful it only lasted 6 hours instead of 6 days! I don't think I've ever felt this sick, even when I did have the flu. I'm assuming it was some type of food poisoning though the boys all ate what I did and no one but me got sick. I've never had food poisoning before but when I Googled the symptoms, they all matched.

With me being sick and the weather being crappy, my poor little pups haven't spent any time outside lately. I think the last day we were able to get out was Tuesday. We were at the high school, near the bleachers, and someone banged on the bleachers and Charlie took off, running away from me as fast as he could. I don't know what gets into that little pea brain of his sometimes. He took off like a shot and never looked back at the crazy lady running after him shouting his name! After a few minutes his mind must have returned and he came running back. Crazy dog.



Usually Zoe will help me out and run after him then try to herd him back but there were too many interesting smells on the ground that day.
"What, he's my problem now?"


This is how dismal it looks outside. Gray and white, all day long.



Here's one of the few living creatures that bothers to make an appearance. This guy was actually looking me right in the eye. I think he wanted to come inside.


This was the only color to be seen outside on the last day of 2009.



If my windows were a little cleaner you could see what a beautiful red color he was. I'll have to get right on that, tomorrow.

Tonight we will head over to an annual New Year's Eve party hosted by our bowling partners. They have one every year, guess that's why they call it "annual", duh. I'll be making my little sausages in a blanket. I always think about making something else but people always expect me to bring these, so I do. At least I don't have to bring them home because they are always GONE by the end of the night!

I'm wishing you all a safe and Happy New Year's Eve!!

3 comments:

Lynilu said...

Happy New Year, Deb!!

On the food poisoning, here's a thought for you: My father had a sensitive digestive system. It rarely bothered him, but occasionally we would have a dinner, and only Dad would get sick. It seemed that his system just wasn't as strong, so something that the rest of us could ward off, would double Dad up. And if a flu bug went through the family, he would always be far more sick that the rest of us. Perhaps you just have a sensitive system as did he.

For what it's worth!

Again, best wishes for a happy year to your family!

Anonymous said...

I don't think I've ever had any of these sausages in a blanket. I'm just saying.

Deb said...

I guess I'll never know, Lynilu. I've never had anything like that before and I pray I never have it again. I think it will be a while before I eat that meal of chicken strips with Frank's hot sauce though. I've eaten it many times before and it's never bothered me but I'm in NO hurry to have it again after that night!! Happy New Year to you too!

Anon, you are very deprived! We'll have to remedy that some day soon!! Just sayin'!