Monday, July 13, 2009

Rock On

Almost 30 years ago my dear SIL Sharon bought me this bentwood rocker as a shower gift when I was expecting Amber. It wasn't on my wish list but I have to say it's probably one of only a few things I have left from that time, when Amber was a baby.

Here's Sharon rocking Amber soon after we brought her home from the hospital. She is such a proud Auntie.


In this one I'm trying to persuade Amber that a nap would be a good idea. Before every nap or bedtime I would have to rock her in this chair until she was sleepy enough to go in her crib.


I used this chair 5 years later when Tyler came along though he didn't enjoy rocking quite as much. Then 3 years later when Scott was born it was put to use again. I even used it to rock children I babysat over the years. I'd say for a gift I didn't even know I needed I've gotten good use out of it.

Right now it's out in the garage getting a "face lift". It's in pieces and various stages of being painted. Howard worked on it all weekend and will have it looking better than new in a few weeks. It's being painted shiny black to match a new nursery.

Good thing she got some practice back in the early days!

Because she's gonna need it in about 6 months time.


I can't decide which is more exciting. Amber and Andy becoming parents or Howard and me becoming Grandparents! Whichever, it's all exciting. And this little darling will enjoy rocking in this chair as much as her/his mother did.


And I'll enjoy the rocking too!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congrats! Cute pics!!!

Lynilu said...

I have one of those, too. But it is a fairly new-to-me acquisition. It is really comfortable. I'm sure Amber will appreciate having it.

I rocked my babies in one that my grandpa made for my gramma at approximately 1900-1910. It's now in my son's home, hopefully to go with my granddaughter when she marries and has babies. It's already rocked 4 generations; I'm hoping for several more.