Saturday, June 12, 2010

What a Difference...

What a difference one little week can make. Actually less than week. Sometimes just a matter of hours.

Do you ever get the feeling that sometimes your luck is just so good? You and the Universe have lined up, your ship has come in, you are living right under your lucky star? Or "someone" really has your best interest at heart, be it a higher power than you or the highest power?

Tuesday afternoon at 4:00 I was marking the time of my last days (hours really) of my job as a para. Then things changed, just like that! The Principal came to our little room and offered me a job for next Fall. It sounded good, really good. I asked her if it would be ok if I let her know in the morning as I wanted to at least let H know about it and he was on his way to Ohio at the time. So the next morning, first thing, I walked into her office and told her I would love to take the job. Looks like next Fall I will be working in the ESL (English as a Second Language) program. I'm really excited and happy about it. We have had quite an influx of Spanish speaking families in the last few years and many of them are in our building. There are others out in the District though and even some students from Asia who will require help next year. It's only 5-1/2 hours a day as opposed to the 7 I have now but at least it's a job and a good one too. So, there's one thing off my mind. I won't have to be looking for a job all summer.

Then Friday H took a little time off to check into refinancing our home. We have a balloon payment due August 1 and needed to find out what to do. Last time I checked it was a real pain and no one seemed that interested in helping us. Now, thanks to Obama and some of his new policies, the Bank HAS to help us refinance and it's all pretty painless. Within an hour, over the phone, we were all set! Done, finished, over! I was so happy and relieved. Yes, we will incur some costs, which they will wrap in the new mortgage, which I wish we weren't incurring but thankfully our payment will stay mostly the same. Another thing I was dreading and I admit I was even thinking we might not be living here much longer.

So, I'm feeling very blessed and thankful right now.

Wednesday was the last day of school. The kids were there 1/2 a day, we signed yearbooks, said our good-byes. Two students brought us gifts this year. One gave me a beautiful pot of flowers and the other a full grown rose bush! I have no idea where in the heck I am going to plant the thing. I truly have no more room in my yard, not that gets 6 hours of sunlight a day anyway. The rest of the day we worked on packing up our room and getting it ready for cleaning and the contents to be moved again. We had just moved into that room last fall and now my teacher will be moving out and into another room next fall. After school we all attended a "pink party" for all the people who have been pink slipped. I have to admit I did feel a little guilty that I was no longer among those nice people. But hopefully they will all be called back again next year too. You never know. Michigan may come up with some money somewhere or else other people will retire and make room for those that were pink slipped.

It's been great these last few days waking up without an alarm. The latest I've actually been able to sleep is only 7:30 and sometimes the pups wake me up earlier and then I convince them we need another hour or so. Usually they comply.

Saturday I took the pups to the high school field but it was very hot and especially muggy. They didn't last long at all. I threw the frisbee 5 or 6 times and then they both trotted over to the shade and layed down. We were done. Time to go.




Today is a little cooler, less muggy and no sun in sight. The weather man keeps saying there is a chance of thunderstorms but I think we will dodge them today. I just got back from taking the pups to the high school field again and they were much more energetic. They lasted a good 20 minutes before they were panting this time.







In other news, Quinn is now 5 months old. Where has the time gone. Amber says she has discovered her feet! They were going to be taking her in the pool today. We video chatted earlier and she was really checking everything out. She can't quite see us yet but we can sure see her and we love it.


I also have been g-chatting with Tyler every couple days. He is mostly working though he did say he went to a park there and they had big screens set up to watch S. Korea participate in the World Cup games. That must have been a sight!

Scott is still trying to find a way into his own apartment. He's been working 3 or 4 nights a week but still not making substantial money yet. With the economy the way it is I just don't think he will. The other day I went to the mall where his restaurant is and noticed that several places that had been there for years have recently closed down. It's just hard to stay in business and make any money I guess. People are still losing their jobs.

I'm going to a retirement party this afternoon for two people from school. One has been the 5th grade teacher for many years and the other is the school social worker. Both decided to take advantage of the incentives that the District is offering to retire. With all the people coming and going our building will really have a different look next year.

But I'm not going to think about that now. Right now I'm going to enjoy summer!

No comments: