Sunday, July 17, 2011

Horses & Four Wheelers

We left for Tennessee Friday morning, taking a route south that is less traveled. You only have to go through two larger cities, Indianapolis and Louisville. The drive through both wasn't bad at all and the rest of the trip was fairly uneventful. We arrived at my aunt and uncle's place around dinner time.

These beautiful creatures are in the pasture right across from their house. The horses don't belong to them but to a neighbor but they graze on my aunt and uncle's land. The pinto is a gelding and the other two mares. They were tolerant of petting but only because they thought you might have a treat. You couldn't get too close because we were separated by an electric fence!

Then we went for a ride on this four wheeler.

I was hesitant until H had a little practice. We rode down a country road where we saw a deer and a huge owl swooped over our heads and across the road.

Part of our trip was just like last summer when we visited but we enjoy these things when we go there. The hummingbirds are always special.

They hang 3 large feeders every day and by the end of the day they are empty. The birds fly in and out all day long.

We also love going to the lake.

It was a perfect day for it. We drove out to a little cove and enjoyed a swim. The water was the perfect temperature. For a Saturday afternoon/evening it was not very crowded on the lake which was great! We ate dinner out on the boat, relaxed a while and then headed back to shore.

The main purpose of the visit was to pick up a beautiful wooden swing that my uncle made for me. (No, this isn't the new swing, this is the 20+ year old one) We had to disassemble it to fit it in H's trunk but we made it home with no problem. We thought it would be a simple switch out since I have a swing that is 20+ years old which needed to be replaced but we thought the frame would be ok.

I guess upon further investigation H declared it was not ok and needed to be replaced. He worked all day yesterday on building a new one but it's taking longer than expected. Pictures soon.

Yesterday morning Scott and I headed out to the garden for some serious weeding. Shortly after H joined us and we all spent the next hour+ cleaning things up. I harvested this beautiful broccoli (two heads) and some zucchini.

H thought this crazy little carrot looked like a tooth.

So far I've gotten about 5 zucchini's with the promise of more as there are lots of flowers blooming.

Speaking of blooming, the clematis is in full bloom

and these beautiful lillies bloom every year even though I try to pull them out every year too. They just keep coming back.

This little guy showed up about a week ago.

I think he was probably the one responsible for the two dead moles we found on the front porch two weekends ago. I've caught him a couple times just sitting under the bird feeders which I don't really like. Thankfully I haven't found any dead birds out there yet. He's very unusual looking.

I decided to do a little research and I swear he looks just like this exotic cat I found when Googling.

According to the research this is a very unusual and rare breed of cat. So what the heck is he doing in our neighborhood? He has a very odd tail. It's like a half tail. Not bobbed but just half a tail.

He's really not afraid when I come out on the deck, he just slowly walks away.

It was a beautiful week last week. We were able to have the air conditioning off and the windows open all week long! That all changed yesterday and this coming week is going to be brutal. One day next week is supposed to be 99! I don't think it's ever been that hot here since we've lived here. No windows will be open next week and the air conditioning will be running full blast! Instead of working in the garden or the yard I will be working in the house, decluttering and other fun stuff like that.

At the end of the week we have a special treat to look forward to! More about that later...

Have a good week!

No comments: