Sunday, October 11, 2009

It's Time to Break out the Long Pants...

It's finally happened, for me at least. It's finally gotten cold enough that I can't wear my capri's and sandals any more. This weekend was really chilly!

But first, look at these beautiful roses H bought me for our 35th anniversary. One red one for every year and a white one for next year. He brought them to work at lunch time but since I couldn't find a vase he had to take them home again. I enjoyed them for over a week. They were gorgeous! Other than that, we celebrated quietly at home.


I hosted Bunco last week and thanks to H and Scott, I was able to pull the night off without taking a vacation day as I've done in the past. It was down to the wire as I just finished putting everything together by 7:00. Five of our regulars couldn't make it so we ended up with 4 subs and a ghost. I actually won "most wins". It rarely happens that the hostess wins anything! It was a late night as the girls didn't leave until 11:00 and then with clean up and all I didn't get to bed until about midnight. Thankfully the next day was Friday and I just had to get through that day.

Yesterday I put my little garden to bed for the winter. We've been getting emails from the township asking for help in getting the big garden ready for winter but I didn't get there early enough on Saturday. It didn't look like much had been done though. I harvested the few onions I had and my Rosemary. I trimmed the onions and will probably chop them up and freeze them in a couple days.



Everything else had been zapped by frost. The onions were small since we planted them too close together, a valuable lesson learned if I decide to plant again next year. Some of the share gardens had nice pumpkins in them, waiting to be picked. That takes up a lot of space with the vine winding around the whole plot. I'm not sure if I would want to take up that much space in a small 10x10 plot.

Before clean-up


After clean-up


I was able to take the pups to the park both days this weekend. They really needed to get out and run after a long week in the house. Friday we had rain all day so it was a little soggy out there on Saturday but at least they didn't get muddy. We saw some pretty trees starting to turn too.




I also saw these cool looking clouds, thankfully not bringing more rain.


Look how patiently they wait for their dinner.


I thought these pictures were funny since they are about the same pics, just different pups!


Although clearly Charlie is more adept at actually catching the frisbee! He keeps his eye on it while Zoe tends to luck out most of the time rather than watching where it's going.


I have a busy week ahead. Monday and Thursday nights we have conferences so I will be at school about 12 hours both days. Then Wednesday night we (Charlie and I) are taking another obedience class. I'm hoping it will help ease his anxiety about other dogs and maybe I will pick up a few tips on his behavior. A girl at work has taken her dog to this class a couple times and says the trainer is really good so we will see! Sometimes I think there is hope for him yet. At Bunco the other night they were both good as gold. Charlie barked a couple times to tell me people were here, pushed his nose in a couple crotches and then settled down nicely. Every time I rotated to a new table they would both get up, follow me to the new room and then lay down until I was finished. I was happily surprised at their behavior.

Then Friday night we have bowling. I don't like having so much to do so many nights in a row but it is what it is. And apparently "it is what it is" is one of the most annoying phrases that people use. I was shocked to see that "like" wasn't even on the list since I hear more people saying "like" than many of the words or phrases that were on the list and it's really annoying. At least I think so.

It's supposed to be a chilly week with temps only in the 50's. Today at the park was quite cold too and the wind was blowing pretty good. When I got back into the car the temp said 46! It doesn't look like we're gonna get an Indian Summer this year. I guess it's time to make some chili.

Have a good week!

No comments: