Tuesday, July 24, 2012

The Heat, The Hurt and Other Happenings...

This has got to be one of the hottest summers ever here in Michigan. I can't say I've heard the official news but every night the news is talking about record temps for record number of days, etc. If you do venture out you are dripping with sweat within just a few minutes. Yesterday I went out to the garden because it had been a week and I was pretty sure some tomatoes would be ready to pick. There were a few and they are absolutely delicious! But the big surprise was that I had 3 cucumbers to harvest, hiding in a nice full vine!
And while there were a lot of grape tomatoes and some of the bigger tomatoes, the really big ones are still green. But the good news is that there a lot of them! And with this heat they should ripe up nicely!
The potatoes should be ready soon and the carrots are coming along. The Master Gardener gave me a few nice, big zucchini so I came right home and made zucchini casserole. That just says summer to me! We had it for dinner last night along with a caprisi salad made with grape tomatoes and my basil, delish! On Saturday we went to a wedding. The wedding was at 2:00 in a church but then we had a few hours between that and the reception which was held in a different location. We came home and I looked down at Charlie and noticed a big gash right above his eye! It scared the heck out of me! It was pretty fresh too and while it wasn't dripping blood it did have fresh blood on it.
It's hard to see from the picture. I wanted to take him to the vet right away because I was afraid it might need a stitch or something but, of course, they were closed. Since it wasn't bleeding I decided to just put some neosporin on it and wait and see how it looked on Monday. The next day I put some peroxide on it and more neosporin and have been doing that twice a day and it's looking like it's scabbing up now.
The hardest part was trying to keep him calm! We really don't know how it happened but Tyler thinks he might have hit it on the car door as he was jumping in. On top of that he had some type of reaction to his breakfast on Saturday (eggs and toast) and spent the next 24 hours throwing up. I put him on rice, beef and yogurt the next day and he's been doing better ever since. He's still not back on his regular diet yet but probably will be by tomorrow.
This week I made new covers out of napkins for my pillows that are on the chairs on the porch. This isn't a very good picture but they turned out ok. My sewing machine gave me some problems and I lost a needle somewhere (haven't found it yet) but I finally finished the job.
I also had to replace my hanging baskets this week. The heat and my 10 day vacation were just too much for them. I got a great deal on these and they are full and gorgeous!
I can't believe July is almost over. Summer is flying by. And while I do wish it wasn't quite so hot so I could get out and enjoy it more, I don't want it to end yet! I know, it's not over but once July is over it seems like it just flies by!
I do have a few things coming up to look forward to. Howard's birthday is this weekend, I have a Bunco Girls weekend coming up and we still have out trip to Florida in August. I'm also hoping to squeeze in another visit with my little sweetie before I have to go back to school in the Fall. Plus there is a lot more gardening to do! Maybe I'll even can some tomatoes again! Maybe...
Have a good week!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Poor Charlie Boy!